4 week course: What is a body? A figurative sculpture course
Sundays, 20 February – 13 March 2022
Phoebe Collings-James will lead a 4 week sculpture course taking inspiration from artists including Beverly Buchanan, Senga Nengudi, Ana Mendieta and more, who have in varied and innovative ways approached questions of embodiment. Attendees will have the opportunity to create their own sculptures in ceramic, while learning basic hand-building techniques such as pinching, coiling and slab building.
This course will cover:
- Hand building techniques
- Decorating techniques
- Development of a ceramic sculptural work
London-based artist, Phoebe Collings-James works across sculpture, video, sound and performance. She is a recipient of the Freelands Lomax Ceramics Fellowship, and her recent works have been dealing with the object as subject, giving life and tension to ceramic forms through an engagement with eroticism and the haptic qualities of clay, alongside inscribing sgraffito into ceramic paintings, including symbols, African folklore and mythic traditions. Collings-James’s founded Mudbelly ceramics studio as a personal practice and research outlet, but has since grown to encompass a shop and a teaching facility offering free ceramics courses for Black people in London, taught by Black ceramicists.
This course is made possible by the generous support of Cass Art.
- This course is suitable for those with little to no experience of ceramics.
- All materials and firing costs are included. Size restrictions apply.
- Booking on a course at Camden Art Centre signifies your agreement to our terms and conditions as stated in our Learning Agreement.
- Bookings are non-refundable and non-transferable, unless the course is cancelled by the Centre. See Learning Agreement for details.
- Evidence of concessionary status must be shown on the first day of the course.
- Please note we require course attendees to have undertaken a lateral flow test (that produced a negative test result) within the preceding 48 hours before a session.
- Course attendees must adhere to our Covid-19 safety measures as stated in our Learning Agreement.
- Adults’ courses are 18+ unless otherwise stated.
- The building is fully wheelchair accessible. Please visit our access page on our website for more information on getting here, parking and facilities.