7 week course: From Earth to Object – Ceramics for Beginners
Thursdays, 20 January – 10 March 2022
Half term break: 17 February
From Earth to Object: Ceramics for Beginners led by Alice Foxen is a playful and explorative 7 week course giving those who are new to ceramics the skills to create hand-built sculptural forms and small functional objects. Together we will learn hand building, plasterwork and decorating and glazing techniques as well as developing an understanding of clay and the steps it goes through to reach ceramic.
This course will cover:
- An introduction to throwing
- Hand building techniques
- Decorating techniques using slips and underglazes
- Sprig mould making and using press moulds
Alice Foxen is a ceramic artist whose sculptural work is inspired by the urban environment. Her practice is a continual search for objects, materials and spaces in a state of flux. Alice uses the material qualities of clay and other materials to reflect to the viewer how we live together in public space.
Since graduating in 2013 from Brighton University with a BA in Design and Craft, Alice has participated in artist residencies at the International Ceramics Research Centre, Denmark and the Vermont Studio Centre, USA. Alice is currently studying for a Masters in Ceramics and Glass at the Royal College of Art.
This course is made possible by the generous support of Cass Art.
• This course is suitable for those with little to no experience of ceramics.
• All materials and firing costs are included. Size restrictions apply.
• Booking on a course at Camden Art Centre signifies your agreement to our terms and conditions as stated in our Learning Agreement.
• Bookings are non-refundable and non-transferable, unless the course is cancelled by the Centre. See Learning Agreement for details.
• Evidence of concessionary status must be shown on the first day of the course.
• Please note we require course attendees to have undertaken a lateral flow test (that produced a negative test result) within the preceding 48 hours before a session.
• Course attendees must adhere to our Covid-19 safety measures as stated in our Learning Agreement.
• Adults’ courses are 18+ unless otherwise stated.
• The building is fully wheelchair accessible. Please visit our access page on our website for more information on getting here, parking and facilities.