7 week course: The Way of Clay – Ceramics for Beginners
Thursdays, 20 January – 10 March 2022
Half term break: 17 February
The Way of Clay: Ceramics for beginners is a 7 week course, perfect for those starting out in ceramics. We will cover core hand building techniques, including coiling, slab work, pinching and press moulding. You will also learn decorative techniques using slips, underglazes and glazes.
The course will be broken down into a series of demonstrations and practical mini projects to develop a good range of skills. You will also be encouraged to work creatively with clay utilising the skills acquired.
This course will cover:
- Hand building techniques
- Press moulding and using sprigs
- Decorating techniques using slips and underglazes
- Texturing clay and Sgraffito
Claire Bevacqua studied Ceramics and Metalwork at Camberwell College of Art, after graduating in 2000 she completed an apprenticeship with Kate Malone and then continued her research in Faenza, Italy and Paterno, Sicily. On returning to the U.K she set up her own studio where she makes and sells her own sculptural work and teaches privately. Claire ran a successful artist residency program ‘Artigiana’ in Sicily in 2013-2016 and has been involved with teaching art and ceramics in the community since 2002.
This course is made possible by the generous support of Cass Art.
- This course is suitable for those with little to no experience of ceramics.
- All materials and firing costs are included. Size restrictions apply.
- Booking on a course at Camden Art Centre signifies your agreement to our terms and conditions as stated in our Learning Agreement.
- Bookings are non-refundable and non-transferable, unless the course is cancelled by the Centre. See Learning Agreement for details.
- Evidence of concessionary status must be shown on the first day of the course.
- Please note we require course attendees to have undertaken a lateral flow test (that produced a negative test result) within the preceding 48 hours before a session.
- Course attendees must adhere to our Covid-19 safety measures as stated in our Learning Agreement.
- Adults’ courses are 18+ unless otherwise stated.
- The building is fully wheelchair accessible. Please visit our access page on our website for more information on getting here, parking and facilities.