World Building: The Bridge between Observation and Imagination is a 9 week course led by Nour El Saleh.
This course is an opportunity to draw from observation and imagination in order to create a world of your own.
During the 9 weeks students will be encouraged to stretch their imagination while learning more about drawing the figure in a space while considering composition. This course will enrich the student’s visual bank while they draw from observation, which will then encourage students to build an archive of new forms, ideas and marks.
During the course students will explore concepts and context: exercising and entertaining the full capacity of one’s imagination to draw from, for example fantasy or fears. Experiment with drawing techniques, using drawing to fully understand how to draw a figure, movement and space to then utilize those techniques when drawing from imagination. Expand the possibilities of materials, using materials such as charcoal, graphite and oil pastels, students will be guided through translating those drawing materials into a painterly language using a method that requires prepared paper (primed paper) and solvents
This course will cover:
- Exploring how observation and imagination can compliment each other
- Build confidence when making
- Learn how to draw a figure and a landscape, exaggerate, distort and reimagine it
- To create a world to continuously build on
- To make and value the importance of both quick experimental works as well as slow and sustained “finished” works.
- To experiment with materials and mark making
This course is suitable for those with little to no experience of drawing/painting.