1 Day Course: Hand Squeezed Objects – For children under 5 years with adult
Saturday 5 March, 11.00am-1.00pm
Hand Squeezed Objects led by Joanne Masding will introduce under 5’s and their adults to the joys of making through feeling, squeezing and mixing different coloured clays to make ceramic objects that capture the imprints of their tiny hands. The squeezed pieces of clay can then be turned into lightpulls, drawer handles, pendants, or magnets, or left as palm-sized sculptures.
This is a playful session that encourages young children to explore new textures and sensations. For the first half of the session the group will be led through a series of explorative making exercises, followed by free-play with clay for those who want to stay for the full two hours.
For families with children age 5 years and under, no previous experience is necessary. Children must be accompanied by an adult for the full session. Please note a ticket includes admission for 1 adult and 1 child under 5.
Joanne Masding is an artist working in Birmingham, UK, and a director member of Modern Clay ceramics co-op. She is currently working on public artwork commission #makefuturevillagehistory, in Cardiff, Wales. Exhibitions include In the Peaceful Dome, Bluecoat, Liverpool, 2018; Touche Eclat, Workplace, Gateshead, 2017; Plaster Ghost Finger Cast, New Art Gallery, Walsall (solo), 2017. She has undertaken artist residencies with 501 Artspace, Chongqing, China, 2013; Research and Cultural Collections at University of Birmingham, UK, 2016; and Temple Bar Gallery, Dublin, Ireland, 2014. She made permanent commission Flimsy Signals, for developers Bruntwood in 2018, and received a fellowship from John Feeney Trust in 2017. In 2020 she received by nomination an Artist Award from Henry Moore Foundation. Joanne also runs the online sales platform Studio Outlet.
This course is made possible by the generous support of Cass Art.
- This course is suitable for those with little to no experience of ceramics.
- All materials and firing costs are included. Size restrictions apply.
- Booking on a course at Camden Art Centre signifies your agreement to our terms and conditions as stated in our Learning Agreement.
- Bookings are non-refundable and non-transferable, unless the course is cancelled by the Centre. See Learning Agreement for details.
- Evidence of concessionary status must be shown on the first day of the course.
- Course attendees must adhere to our Covid-19 safety measures as stated in our Learning Agreement.
- Please note we require course attendees to have undertaken a lateral flow test (that produced a negative test result) within the preceding 48 hours before a session.
- For adults (18+) with children (age 5year and under) only, children must be accompanied by an adult for the full session. Please note a ticket includes admission for 1adult and 1 child under 5 years.
- The building is fully wheelchair accessible. Please visit our access page on our website for more information on getting here, parking and facilities.