4 week course: Introduction to Nerikomi
Sundays, 23 January – 13 February 2022
Nerikomi, or Neriage is a Japanese technique to create interesting pottery surfaces by combining multiple clays and coloured clays. The basic idea of the technique is the same with agateware and marbled ware; to create patterns in the clay body. In Japan, it has been developed further to create geometric patterns, floral motifs and cartoon characters in clay.
Introduction to Nerikomi is a 4 week course providing an insight into pattern making in this Japanese technique. You will learn the rules, tips and tricks in manipulating clay and the basics of designing while exploring a small variety of patterns.
You will form simple shapes such as plates and bowls with Nerikomi slabs, which will then be fired and glazed.
This course will cover:
- Colouring clay
- Introduction to various pattern making including:
- Ichimatsu (Checked pattern)
- Uzura-de (a traditional Nerikomi pattern)
- Striping and marbling
Mizuyo Yamashita is a Japanese ceramicist based in London. Mizuyo makes tableware and objects inspired by traditional shapes & techniques. Mizuyo also teaches the techniques she learnt in the research of Japanese potteries in her studio and at other organisations.
This course is made possible by the generous support of Cass Art.
- This course is suitable for those with little to no experience of ceramics.
- All materials and firing costs are included. Size restrictions apply.
- Booking on a course at Camden Art Centre signifies your agreement to our terms and conditions as stated in our Learning Agreement.
- Bookings are non-refundable and non-transferable, unless the course is cancelled by the Centre. See Learning Agreement for details.
- Evidence of concessionary status must be shown on the first day of the course.
- Please note we require course attendees to have undertaken a lateral flow test (that produced a negative test result) within the preceding 48 hours before a session.
- Course attendees must adhere to our Covid-19 safety measures as stated in our Learning Agreement.
- Adults’ courses are 18+ unless otherwise stated.
- The building is fully wheelchair accessible. Please visit our access page on our website for more information on getting here, parking and facilities.