A Conversation with Porcelain is a 7 week course led by Yung Cheuk Chung.
During the course, students will explore the properties of porcelain – whiteness, translucency and elasticity using a set of basic handbuilding techniques (pinching, slab building, coiling and press moulding) and glazing techniques.
Students will be guided through making process with porcelain and remedies to solve common problems when working with porcelain. Experimentation will be encouraged and will take up the greater degree of this course, the outcome of your work will be driven by the result of test pieces created during the first half of the course.
This course will cover:
- Making process using porcelain
- Pinching, slab building, coiling and press moulding
- Glazing techniques
Yung Cheuk Chung first discovered working with clay when he was taught to handbuild in 2010 in Hong Kong, he later moved to London to study his BA at Central Saint Martins and MA at Royal College of Art in Ceramics.
Yung Cheuk Chung’s work is inspired by factories in the UK, observing how components join together, the elegance of plant design, the balance of straight line and curve. He never seeks them as a functional object but as an object to capture the pure movement and relationship between each component.
His work involves throwing, press moulding and slip casting, allowing him to have the flexibility to make each piece unique by distorting the form while having a standard quality of shape and scale to unify them. The outcome of his work attempts to discover the purity of the designed components and place them in a different context.
- This course is suitable for those with little to no experience of ceramics.
- All materials and firing costs are included. Size restrictions apply.
- Booking on a course at Camden Art Centre signifies your agreement to our terms and conditions as stated in our Learning Agreement.
- Bookings are non-refundable and non-transferable, unless the course is cancelled by the Centre. See Learning Agreement for details.
- Evidence of concessionary status must be shown on the first day of the course.
- Adults’ courses are 18+ unless otherwise stated.
- The building is fully wheelchair accessible. Please visit our access page on our website for more information on getting here, parking and facilities.